Deadline: November 23, 2017
The Arab Council for Social Sciences is pleased to announce the launch of the fifth edition of the research grants program on the theme “Environment, the fifth edition of the research grants program on the theme “Environment, Poverty and Social Justice Movements: Multidisciplinary Approaches”.
This course is part of a grant made by the Swedish Agency for International Development Cooperation (Sida) to the Arab Council for Social Sciences. The research grant program gives grants to individual researchers whose research focuses mainly on Arab communities. The 2018-2019 research grants program aims at bringing together a broad spectrum of research proposals from different countries and regions in the Arab region.
They welcome in particular the multidisciplinary proposals linking social and natural sciences on the one hand, and approaches in the fields of history, humanity, and art on the other. At this session, priority is given to researchers residing in the Arab region. The grant lasts for a period not exceeding 18 months, beginning in April 2018 and ending in October 2019.
- Grants to individual researchers are up to a maximum of US $20,000 and for research teams are up to a maximum of US $50,000.
- The researchers must be from an Arab country (ie, the Arab state affiliated with the League of Arab States) or currently residing there ie residents of the region for a long time, even if they do not have any nationality.
- The research grants program is open to any field of social sciences and related fields. The definition of the Arab Council for Social Sciences for Social Sciences includes basic sciences such as anthropology, demography, economics, history, political science, psychology and sociology. Related branches include art, architecture, geography, law, literature, linguistics, philosophy and public health. Multidisciplinary areas include gender/gender studies, cultural studies, development studies, media studies, and urban studies. We encourage inter-disciplinary proposals.
- Applicants must have a doctorate in a social science field or have a doctorate by January 2018.
- Individual researchers who are in the early stages of their careers after receiving a doctorate are eligible to apply.
- In the case of collaborative research, the principal researcher in the team must have a doctorate in a field of social sciences and demonstrate a successful research experience.
- Researchers with a master’s degree can join the research teams as associate researchers only, but can not apply individually.
- Applications of individual researchers and research teams of up to four members, including the Principal Investigator and three Associate Researchers, are accepted.
- Scholars and fellows from the Arab Council for Social Sciences are not eligible to apply for this grant unless they have completed their fellowship before March 2016.
- Applicants must submit a narrative proposal (including attachments) alongside the application form.
- A research proposal not exceeding 15 pages should be submitted.
- Curriculum vitae containing a list of publications should be submitted.
- Letter of recommendation from the ID should be submitted.
- Copy of passport or identity card should be submitted.
- The proposed materials can be submitted in Arabic, French or English.
- August 18, 2017: Application material available online.
- August 18, 2017 – November 20, 2017: Prospective applicants may approach ACSS with questions about any aspect of the competition. Please email [email protected] Please read the FAQs for Individual Projects and the FAQs for Team Projects before contacting the ACSS.
- November 27, 2017: Final and complete research proposals are due before 11:00 pm (Al-Quds/Beirut Time). Only candidates whose proposals are ready for examination by the Selection Committee will be contacted by the Secretariat. Incomplete proposals will not be considered for funding.
- February 1, 2018: Decisions will be communicated to applicants.
- March 2018: Submission of final proposals revised according to the Selection Committee’s comments.
- Spring 2018: RGP workshop likely to be held in conjunction with the Third ACSS Research Forum.
- April 15, 2018: Projects may begin.
- Spring 2019: Fourth ACSS Conference to be held in Beirut, Lebanon.
- October 15, 2019: Projects must end.
For more information, please visit ACSS Research Grants Program.