Data Center Technician – Amazon Web Services
Amazon Web Services (AWS) offers an exciting, dynamic and challenging environment encouraging creativity and personal development while maintaining AWS computing environments in a secure, scalable, and cost-effective manner.
AWS continues to expand our Data Centres in every region increasing our presence by over 50% Worldwide in the last 12 months. We are expecting to increase by a similar number over the next 12 months. Therefore we require talented people to build & manage, we hope it is you!
Data Centre Technician
This role is a unique opportunity to work in some of the most cutting-edge data centres in the world. Amazon data centres are large-scale high-density centres where you will be working on changing the face of Cloud technology in the region.
A Data Centre Technician may be the primary point of contact for both internal customers (for example: Network Engineers, Systems Engineers, Software Developers, Database Engineers, Technical Operations) and external customers (Hardware Vendors, Contractors, Service Providers among others).
There is never a dull moment as each day presents itself with different challenges. Some of the key responsibilities you will undertake are:
Problem Solving: Maintain a high level of system reliability by prioritising and resolving trouble tickets efficiently, these include:
- Escalation point and technical troubleshooter for all Systems and Network hardware problems
- Deep diving into Linux server issues
- XEN service virtualisation troubleshooting
Technical: Troubleshoot technical issues on various platforms ranging from Systems through Networking to Power/Mechanical
- Remediation of physical layer outages, both Systems & Network
- Remediation or recovery of physical power issues on racks
- Participate in Data Centre power & cooling events
Operations: Meet 24×7 On-Call requirements and response during shift rotations.
- Install & configure racks of hosts in line with internal SLAs
- Triage & resolve trouble tickets for all devices in your region
- Data Centre point of contact for all High Severity issues
- Physical replacement of server and network device parts
- Ensure correct rotation of parts & spares
- Help define metrics to increase our customer uptime
- Enforcing Amazons Security Best Practices
- Interact with third party vendors & contractors
- Contribute ideas to improve operational efficiency
- Engage with Remote Hands & Eyes in EU Regional Cloudfront POPs
- Participate in and deliver on a number of high impact small to mid-scale projects
- Participate in team meetings for metric analysis and project status updates
- Help build the world’s largest Cloud infrastructure
Mentoring: Share knowledge and help educate less technical staff on the best practices related to all service owner issues
Hiring: Contribute towards building a great team by getting involved in the Amazon hiring process/candidate interviews
- Solid Understanding of Linux/Unix Administration
- Server Hardware Troubleshooting experience
- Server Booting: POST, BIOS, PXE, Kickstart, GRUB/LILO, RAID
- Some Experience with Network Protocols: TCP/IP, Ethernet, L2/L3 technologies
- Network Hardware: Copper and Optical Fibre Cabling, Switches, Routers
- Strong Communication Skills
- Passionate about IT infrastructure and hardware!
- Remote Access: Console routers, IPMI, BMC
- Network Equipment Installation and Configuration
- Cisco IOS, NX-OS, JunOS
- Redundancy: Power feeds, ATS, Server Hardware, RAID, Network Connectivity
- Data Centre Operations: Inventory Management, Hot/Cold Aisles, Security
- Participated in Project Management
- Experience or Knowledge of AWS products: EC2, EBS, S3, etc
- Scripting: Bash, Python, Perl, Ruby (or programming languages)
This position also has a physical component requiring the ability to lift & rack equipment up to 20kg; it may require working in cramped spaces or elevated locations while adhering to health & safety guidelines. This role involves covering 24×7 shift rotation