Are you a champion of open science and open data? Mozilla is seeking researchers eager to advance openness in science and data within their institutions.
The Mozilla Fellowships for Science present a unique opportunity for researchers who want to influence the future of open science and data sharing within their communities.
This week, the Mozilla Science Lab is launching our third annual Mozilla Fellowship for Science program. Starting in September 2017, we’re sponsoring researchers to build projects in support of science, and we’d love for you to be a part of that process. The call will be open until May 14th, with further details in the application, but we wanted to call out some of the amazing features of the fellowship and especially encourage our community to apply!
The Mozilla Fellowship for Science is an opportunity to spend 10 months working with an institution (university or other academic affiliation) building open science projects that leverage the open web. If you are interested in open science, open access, open data or open source, and you’d like to make the world a better place through research and collaboration, you should apply for the chance to join other talented and brilliant fellows in the upcoming fellows’ cohort.
The Fellowships are designed to allow for flexibility for both Fellows and their families. The standard fellowship offers a stipend of $60,000 USD*, paid in 10 monthly installments. Fellows are responsible for remitting all applicable taxes and other government payments as required.
To help offset cost of living, the fellowship also provides supplements for childcare and health insurance, and helps pay for research/equipment and books. The fellowships also covers the costs of required travel for fellowship activities.
Fellows will receive:
- a stipend of $60,000 USD*, paid in 10 monthly installments
- a one-time health insurance supplement for Fellows and their families, ranging from $3,500 for single Fellows to $7,000 for a couple with two or more children
- a one-time childcare allotment of up to $6,000 for families with children
- an allowance of up to $3,000 towards the purchase of laptop computer, digital cameras, recorders and computer software; fees for continuing studies or other courses, research fees or payments, to the extent such purchases and fees are related to the fellowship
- coverage in full for all approved fellowship trips – domestic and international
Proposed fellowship amounts are gross amounts and may be reduced by applicable taxes in the various applicable jurisdictions.
In order to be considered eligible to apply, you must fulfill all of the following criteria:
- be currently employed at a research institution
- have the ability to accept outside funds for this fellowship directly (i.e., not distributed through the institution)
- be an early-career researcher (i.e., graduate students, post-docs, research scientists, lecturers)
- specialize in scientific research: physical, life, social, library, or natural sciences
be able to travel
- obtain support from their advisors. As fellows will be based at their home institutions, please note that a letter of support from their advisor is mandatory for consideration
- have experience participating in open communities
Eligible Regions: Open for All.
Application Deadline: May 15, 2017 (30 Days Remaining)
For Further Queries