Deadline: July 15, 2017
Building on its goal to secure the future and foster the career growth of its high-achieving graduates, the Consortium for Advanced Research Training in Africa (CARTA) will offer up to 5 one-year postdoctoral fellowships in 2017 for its fellows who have completed their PhD studies. CARTA postdoctoral fellowships offer its PhD graduates the opportunity to build specific skills, expand their networks, encounter research leadership and role models, receive strong mentoring and learn the demands of community/public engagement. The fellowships will be awarded for a maximum of 12 months and are tenable at any African CARTA partner-institution or associated research institutes, including INDEPTH Network Centres.
- The postdoctoral fellowship award will cover travel costs and a monthly stipend of $3,000 for up to 12 months fulltime placement;
- Other benefits include medical insurance and one international conference participation;
- Additional funds will be available for the development of new research collaborations and partnerships, development of pilot projects, or training opportunities on specific skills;
- Due to the short-term nature of the postdoctoral research fellowship program, the fellowships will not cover accompanying dependents.
- Applicants must be PhD graduates of the CARTA program;
- They must demonstrate strong commitment to research capacity building at their institutions as well as potential for research leadership.
- Candidates will be selected on the basis of their previous research and academic achievements, the proposed activities during the postdoctoral fellowship period, and demonstrated evidence of professional support and mentorship from the host institution;
- Prospective fellows must establish initial contact with the host institution and obtain a statement indicating that the institution is willing to host the applicant for the fellowship period. The letter should also indicate the senior researcher at the host institution who will serve as mentor to the applicant.
Applicants must submit the following documents:
- A completed application form;
- Updated CV showing publications and awards;
- Two letters of recommendation, one from a senior academic who understands your research and potential and a second one from your head of department or dean;
- A statement of support from the prospective host institution indicating its willingness to host the applicant and who the mentor will be;
- A statement from the current employer indicating willingness to release the applicant for the postdoctoral training opportunity;
- E-copies of your most significant publications over the last three years.
The application form and supporting documents should be sent in a single email to [email protected] with the following on the subject line: Application for 2017 CARTA Post-Doctoral Fellowship
For more information, visit CARTA Postdoctoral Fellowship.