Deadline: September 30, 2017
The Center on Conflict and Development at Texas A&M University is now accepting applications for the ConDev’s Student Media Grants 2017. This photojournalism grant, funded by the Howard G. Buffett Foundation Chair on Conflict and Development, is aimed at students interested in capturing issues facing fragile and conflict-affected areas of the world through stunning photography. Past winners have traveled to and produced photography highlighting issues in Nigeria, Mali, Bangladesh, Nicaragua, Kenya, Haiti, Guatemala, Ethiopia, Peru, and other conflict-affected regions.
ConDev—part of Texas A&M University’s Department of Agricultural Economics—works to improve the effectiveness of development programs and policies for conflict-affected and fragile countries through international research, education and projects. The Center uses science and technology to reduce armed conflict, sustain families and communities during conflict, and assist states to rapidly recover from conflict.
- Grant up to $5,000 will be awarded
- Open to students worldwide (undergraduate, graduate, PhD, etc.);
- Students graduating in December 2017 – May 2018 are also eligible to apply;
- Only one proposal can be submitted per student.
Students should submit proposals that describe their anticipated travel, subjects, and plans for photostory production, refinement and promotion as specifically as possible. Proposals should be submitted to [email protected] with “Student Media Grant: [Name of Student]” as the subject line.
- No more than four (8.5”×11”) pages (not including cover page)
- 12 point, Times New Roman font
- 1″ margins; please submit as a Microsoft Word document
Proposals must include the following components:
- Cover Sheet
- Thematic Focus
- Statement of Motivation
- Media Experience
- Narrative of Planned Activities (including Plan for Promotion)
See full application instruction here.
- August 1, 2017: APPLICATION OPENS! You can start e-mailing your finished proposals [email protected]
- September 30, 2017 by 11:59pm CST: Application deadline
- October 2017: Review Period – please be patient as they review your incredible proposals!
- December 2017: Notification Period (approximate)
- January 2018 (Depending on proposal timeline): Funding Disbursement (approximate)
- January-December 2018: Grant winners travel and implement their photojournalism projects
For more information, visit ConDev’s Student Media Grants.