Fully Funded Finnish Government Scholarship
The Finnish Government Scholarship Pool programme is open to young researchers from all academic fields.
Who can apply?
In order to be an eligible applicant for this scholarship, you must first successfully apply for a study/research placement at a Finnish university/public research institute – in other words, you must be at least provisionally accepted either as a visiting Doctoral-level student/researcher, or as a full-time Doctoral degree student. Please see section Doctoral Admissions for information on how to apply for a Doctoral-level study or research placement in Finland
To be eligible, the applicant must:
- have established contact with the Finnish receiving institution before applying (see section ‘Doctoral Admissions‘)
- have a letter of invitation from the academic supervisor in Finland; the invitation should also explain the commitment of the host institution to the project
- have earned a Master’s-level degree before applying
- intend to pursue post-Master’s level studies as a visiting student, participate in a research project or teach at a university or public research institute in Finland; priority will be given to doctoral studies
- not have spent already more than one year at a Finnish higher education institution immediately before the intended scholarship period in Finland
- be able to give proof of sufficient skills in speaking and writing the language needed in study/research*
What does the scholarship cover?
The scholarship includes:
- a monthly allowance of EUR 1500. The allowance is sufficient for one person only.
Expenses due to travel, international or in Finland, are not covered by the programme. Scholarship recipients are recommended to make arrangements for sufficient insurance coverage for their stay in Finland. Please see the section ‘Practical matters‘ for information on the practicalities of coming to Finland as an international student/researcher.
How and when to apply
Applications for the Finnish Government Scholarship Pool funding should be made to the appropriate authority in the applicant’s country. For information on the appropriate authority in your country, please see the listing of countries and authorities to contact.
- the announcements for the opening of the annual application round are sent out from the Finnish National Agency for Education at the end of September annually.
- applicants may then contact the scholarship authorities in their home country for information on the national deadline for submitting the application documents. Make sure you meet the national deadline in your home country, as that is the deadline by which you should submit your application to the national contact authorities.
- the annual deadline set by the Finnish National Agency for Education for the nomination of scholarship candidates by the national contact authorities is in mid-February (in 2018: 15th February)
Deadline: 15th February, 2018