Helen Lansdowne Resor (HLR) Scholarship 2017
Helen Lansdowne Resor (HLR) Scholarship supports and promotes talented female creative advertising students from around the world in honor of the industry’s first female copywriter, Helen Lansdowne Resor. The program will run through 2020.Each year, the HLR Scholarship seeks to award five female creative students scholarships up to $10,000. In addition, each recipient will receive a paid summer internship at a J. Walter Thompson office in her respective region, an offer of a J. Walter Thompson mentor and “first look” placement consideration upon graduation.
Dating back to the early 1900s, Helen was an industry pioneer, credited with sparking celebrity testimonial campaigns with her use of endorsements from socialites, European royalty, and actresses in her work for Pond’s Cold Cream. Helen Lansdowne Resor’s creative capacity helped to push the barriers and shatter traditional formulas of advertising.
Helen was a working mother and ardent feminist who championed the advancement of women’s rights both inside and outside of the agency. During her tenure, J. Walter Thompson was known as the “Women’s Agency,” where bright young talented females were given opportunities that had been traditionally offered exclusively to men.
- Be female
- Be registered as a student at a participating undergraduate and/or portfolio school and be no less than 12 months from completion of their degree at May 14, 2017
- Show creative talent and promise
- Maintain satisfactory academic and creative progress as determined by their school
Terms of Scholarship
- Scholarships are paid directly to the university/portfolio school you are attending
- Tuition payments will be made until the scholarship balance reaches zero or when the recipient graduates
- Reimbursement payments by J. Walter Thompson will not be made for tuition already paid by the student prior to being awarded the HLR Scholarship
- Application form
- Personal statement (500 words or less)
- Letter of recommendation from a faculty member
- 3-5 maximum creative samples (less than 7 MB) showcasing your best work
- Ensure that all required creative samples are uploaded or made accessible via a link (Google Drive, Dropbox, portfolio website, etc.) and include this link in your submission
Deadline: 14th May 2017