Deadline: July 20, 2017
The MJ Bear Fellowships identify and celebrate digital journalists under 30 whose work represents the best of new media. Each year, ONA recognizes three fellows— two in the United States or Canada and one international. The fellows are up-and-coming journalists who are just beginning to make their voices heard in the industry and working to expand the boundaries of digital news. Fellows are focused on developing a digital project, which might include experiments in social media, a unique approach to news coverage, creative data visualizations or other digital approaches. Through the course of the one-year fellowship, these early-career journalists receive guidance from industry leaders and opportunities to share their work with the digital journalism community.
Each Fellowship provides:
- Three online workshop sessions with a Personal Advisory Board;
- Registration, travel and accommodations for the Online News Association Conference & Awards Banquet;
- Recognition at the ONA conference;
- ONA membership, with three years’ dues paid in full.
- The fellowship is open to working journalists who are leading a digital journalism project. The fellowship is designed to provide support and guidance to fellows on both their projects and their own professional development.
- Applicants can be working either for a company or organization or be self-employed;
- ONA encourages freelancers and journalists from diverse backgrounds to apply;
- Applicants in 2017 must be under 30. They must be born between October 6, 1987 and October 5, 1994;
- Full-time students are not eligible for this fellowship.
The application has five parts. Applications and all submitted materials must be in English. Any links you provide as part of the application must be public — with no password required.
To apply, you’ll need to have the following ready:
- Your resumé / CV
- A photo of yourself
- A link to the project that you’d like us to consider that is ongoing or started after Jan. 1, 2016
- A recommendation letter from an employer, instructor or technology partner who is not a personal friend or family member
The deadline for 2017 MJ Bear Fellowships is July 20, 2017 at 11:59 p.m. ET.
For more information, visit MJ Bear Fellowship.