On behalf of the German Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (Bundesministerium für wirtschafliche Zusammenarbeit und Entwicklung – BMZ) the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit GmbH (GIZ) is implementing three projects in the context of sustainable economic development in Myanmar. One of these is the project on ‘Banking and Financial Sector Development’, focusing on access to finance for small and medium sized enterprises as well as financial reporting in the banking sector The project is structured in complementing pillars:
- Banking regulation and supervision
- Capacity development for the banking sector
- Piloting of SME-finance products as well as implementation of financial reporting standards with selected banks
The financial sector in Myanmar is underdeveloped by international standards and the banking industry is not able to fulfill its role as intermediary. The financial intermediary ratio (credits to GDP) is with about 15% the lowest one in Asia and also at the bottom end on an international level.
The current regulatory framework heavily restrains banks in its activities. Interest rate limits, as well as excessive collateral, liquidity and capital requirements pose sincere challenges for banks to engage with a wider target group. The commercial banking sector and also the Central Bank of Myanmar is struggling to build up the necessary capacities. Financial reporting practices lack behind international standards.
You will act as component manager for the second of the project: ‘Capacity development for the banking sector’. You will report to the head of project and will be in charge of coordinating and conducting GIZ support activities to centralised bank training providers. This includes especially the support to a commercial bank training academy as well as to the Yangon University of Economics, which offers a ‘Master in Banking and Finance’. You will furthermore be responsible for the successful implementation of a Public Private Partnership with Deutsche Bank AG for the support of the aforementioned master programme.
Competitive Salary is given to the GIZ employees.
- Master degree or equivalent in business administration, finance, economics or related fields.
- Minimum 5 years of professional experience in planning and implementing capacity building projects for the banking industry. Regional experience in South East Asia as well as a strong background in tertiary education are considered an asset.
- International experience through professional assignments and experience in developing or transition countries.
- Proven ability to write in a clear and concise manner and to communicate effectively orally. Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain effective work relationship with national and international partners.
- Strong interpersonal skills and; ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity, and with high level stakeholders. Ability to identify partners´ needs and appropriate solutions;
- Ability to act independently with a minimum of supervision.
- Practical experience in qualification measures for the banking industry.
- Excellent command of English and German (written and oral). Command of Burmese is considered an asset.
Eligible Regions: Open for All
Please apply through e-recruiting system of GIZ
Application Deadline: April 12, 2017 (4 Days Remaining)
For Further Queries
Contact Department: Annika Neufang +49 6196 79-3326