Deadline: May 21, 2017
The United Nations Alliance of Civilizations (UNAOC) is now accepting applications for the 2017 edition of its Fellowship Program. The goal of the Fellowship is to provide participants with first hand exposure to cultural diversity, while interacting with a wide range of local actors and partners. In every country they visit, participants will acquire crucial comprehension tools to help them understand the plurality of their host country’s culture, politics, society, religion, and media. The theme of the Fellowship 2017 is “The role of civil society and the media in combatting hatred and fostering inclusion”.
About the Fellowship
The Fellowship Program aims at fostering intercultural exchange and interfaith understanding by engaging with young civil society leaders and professionals from Europe, North-America (EUNA), the Middle East and North-Africa (MENA). Framed around two-week exchange trips between EUNA and MENA countries, the Program sends participants from each geographic area to their counterparts’ region.
The Fellowship provides participants with first hand exposure to diversity and with the opportunity to experience cultural immersion while interacting with a wide range of local actors and partners. In every country visited, participants are being provided with crucial comprehension tools to help them understand the plurality of their surroundings, and to get an extensive grasp of host countries’ culture, politics, society, religion, media and more.
By exposing participants to new ideas and perspectives, and by immersing them into culturally diverse environments, the Fellowship Program aims at challenging perceptions and deconstructing stereotypes. Building on that, participants become then better equipped to position themselves as informed stakeholders and to develop cross-cultural partnerships while bridging divides between peoples from different faiths and cultures.
- The Call is open to participants between 25 to 35 years old, from the Middle East, North Africa, Europe and North America, with a strong interest in intercultural exchanges.
- Eligible candidates must demonstrate strong interest in intercultural dialogue and professional achievements in the fields of media and/or civil society.
- Candidates must also be able to present professional achievements in these fields.
To be eligible, applicants must be:
- For applicants from EUNA countries
- For applicants from MENA region
- From the Middle East (including the Arabian Peninsula) or North Africa
- Born between January 1st 1982 and December 31st 1992
- Fluent in English
- Working directly with civil society and/or the media and able to present professional achievements in that field.
- In the possession of a passport valid at least 6 months beyond October 2017 (May 1st 2018 and beyond)
- Available to travel for a period of 18 days in October or November 2017 as scheduled by UNAOC. Final dates will be confirmed 4 weeks before departure.
- Must not have participated in any of UNAOC programs before.
The jury will make sure that the final selection is:
- Gender balanced
- MENA Region balanced between participants from North Africa and the Middle East
- EUNA Region balanced with one participant from North America for two participants from Europe
- Limited to two participants per country (for MENA Region)
- two participants per European country and to three participants per North American country (for EUNA Region)
- Professionally balanced with no more than a third of participants working in the same sector or industry.
Please submit your complete application no later than Sunday May 21st 2017 at 11:59PM EST
- Only fill in the following application if you meet all the eligibility criteria mentioned above:
- The application is to be completed in English only
- The application is to be completed truthfully and in its entirety
- Make sure to attach all the documents required
- Resume must be in English
- Do not attach anything else but the documents required