Deadline: September 3, 2017
Application is open for the GSMA Mobile for Development Utilities Innovation Fund 2017. The M4D Utilities Innovation Fund, supported by the UK Government and the Scaling Off-Grid Energy Grand Challenge for Development, aims to test and scale the use of mobile to improve or increase access to energy, water and sanitation services.
The two types of grants the programme awards include:
- Seed Grant: The specific objective of the Seed Grant is to support the trial of products/services that use mobile to enable sustainable access to energy, water or sanitation.
- Market Validation Grant: The specific objective of the Market Validation Grant is to support partnerships with mobile network operators or utility service providers to support scaling or replication of an existing service that increases or improves access to sustainable energy, water and sanitation services to underserved customers. The service will already have demonstrated early success and have active users in at least one market.
- Seed Grant: Up to GBP 150,000 in funding, 33% of total project cost matched by grantee;
- Market Validation Grant: Up to GBP 300,000 in funding, 100% of total project cost matched by grantee
- Open to Mobile operators, Technology solutions providers, Energy, water, or sanitation services providers, who propose to implement innovative products or services that include the use of one or more mobile channel(s) as a significant element of the delivery model;
- Applications can come from Sub-Saharan Africa and Asia only, excluding the following countries: Algeria, Botswana, Gabon, Libya, Namibia, South Africa, Tunisia, Malaysia and Thailand;
- Strong preference will be given to applicants that are NOT implementing pay-as-you-go energy services in East Africa.
- September 3, 2017: Concept note due
- September 25 – November 12, 2017: Proposal phase for shortlisted applicants
- Early February 2018: Grant award announcement