International Scholarships in Japan (Tokyo University)
The University of Tokyo provides international students with access to a number of financial aid options that cover various forms and purposes, including school expense exemptions, scholarships, emergency loans, and student discounts.
The following are the scholarships available at the Graduate School of Science. If you have further questions about the scholarships, please contact the International Liaison Office.
Scholarships for Prospective Students
1) For Master’s Course Students
Graduate School of Science (GSS) Scholarship for International Students
This scholarship provides a monthly stipend of 150,000 yen to self-supporting international students who first come to Japan and have demonstrated outstanding academic achievement.
The scholarship period is for a total of five years starting from the enrollment in a master’s degree course to the end of a three-year Ph.D. course.
2) For Doctoral Course Students
International Student Special Scholarship Program
(The University of Tokyo Fellowship)
This scholarship provides a monthly stipend of 200,000 yen to self-supporting international student who has demonstrated outstanding academic achievement and first come to Japan to pursue a Ph.D. degree at the School for the October entrance.
3) Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarship
- By Embassy Recommendation
contact office: Embassy or Consulate of Japan in your home country
- The application for this Japanese Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) scholarship is to be made in your home country.
- The Embassy or Consulate of Japan in your home country is responsible for this scholarship, and there are different requirements and policies according to each country. Please note that the University of Tokyo DOES NOT provide any details about the application procedure, which is independent of the university. Please inquire directly at the appropriate contact office in your country.
- The scholarship covers the monthly stipend as well as the round-trip airfare. You can also take an intensive Japanese course for the first six months after arrival, if required, under the scholarship.
- This scholarship is highly recommended.
- By University Recommendation (Frontier Science Research Centers/General)
Contact Office: International Liaison Office
- This scholarship is available for applicants who first come to Japan to pursue a Master’s/Ph.D. degree for the October entrance.
- Application is to be made in your home country.
- The applicant needs a strong recommendation from a professor of the University of Tokyo for the Japanese government’s screening. The scholarship covers the monthly stipend as well as the round-trip airfare. You can also take an intensive Japanese course for the first six months after arrival, if required.
Deadline: 1st May, 2017