Deadline: June 20, 2017
International Tropical Timber Organisation (ITTO) offers fellowships through the Freezailah Fellowship Fund to promote human resource development and to strengthen professional expertise in member countries in tropical forestry and related disciplines. The goal is to promote the sustainable management of tropical forests, the efficient use and processing of tropical timber, and better economic information about the international trade in tropical timber. ITTO Fellowship Programme encourages capacity development of women foresters, and has supported 381 women to undertake fellowship activities, accounting for 29% of the total number of fellowships.
The objective of the programme is to develop human resources and enhance professional expertise in member countries in tropical forestry, tropical timber industries and related disciplines, with a view to promoting sustainable management of tropical forests, efficient utilization and processing of tropical timber, and better economic information on the international trade in tropical timber. The programme has enabled more than 1300 young and mid-career people from over 40 countries working for government, universities, research institution, civil society and the private sector to pursue their professional development and improve their career prospects. Forty-one percent of the fellowships have been awarded to people from Asia-Pacific, 32% to people from Africa, 24% to people from Latin America/Caribbean, and 3% to people from developed consumer countries, who carried out their activities in producer member countries.
- The maximum amount for a fellowship is US$10,000. ITTO Fellowships provides tuition/training/conference fees, transportation fees, daily subsistence allowance, book allowance and other allowances;
- For post-gradate studies, only a partial tuition fee or a small research grant can be provided. Approved Fellowships are non-transferable to other programmes or institutions.
- Only nationals of ITTO Member countries are eligible to apply;
- Awards are to be made to individuals not to institutions;
- Previous ITTO Fellowship awardees are not eligible to apply for another ITTO Fellowship within two years of receiving the first award and submitting to the Secretariat a final report on the activity for which the award was made.
Online Application is available in English, French, and Spanish (the official languages of ITTO). Please read carefully the information and general instructions contained in this note before submitting your application. Should you have any question, please contact the ITTO Secretariat at the following address:
ITTO Fellowship Programme
International Tropical Timber Organization
Pacifico-Yokohama 5F, 1-1-1, Minato-Mirai, Nishi-ku
Yokohama 220-0012, JAPAN
Tel: (81-45) 223-1110 Fax: (81-45) 223-1111
E-mail: [email protected]
The schedule of the ITTO Fellowship Programme for 2017 has been established. The deadline for receipt of applications is June 20, 2017 (Japan Time). Fellowship activities are expected to start not earlier than February 1, 2018.
For more information, visit ITTO Fellowship Programme.