Deadline: May 26, 2017
Applications are ongoing for the Japan International Award for Young Agricultural Researchers 2017. Its purpose is to increase motivation among young researchers contributing to research and development in agriculture, forestry, fisheries, and related industries in developing regions, which is promoted by Japan for the benefit of those countries. Up to three young researchers who have shown outstanding performance in research and development and who show great promise and outstanding achievements in research and development that will lead to future technological innovation in agriculture, forestry, fisheries or related industries for a developing area, will be invited to Japan to attend the commendation ceremony this November and accept their awards and cash gifts.
The Japan International Research Center for Agricultural Sciences (JIRCAS) was established in order to include overseas forestry and fisheries research in its mandate. Its main objectives include:
- Undertaking comprehensive experimental research for technological advancement of agriculture, forestry, fisheries and related industries in tropical and subtropical zones of developing regions;
- Collecting, analyzing and publishing information of domestic and international researches which are relevant to agriculture, forestry and fisheries as well as farming systems in these developing areas;
- Through the above, JIRCAS seeks to contribute solutions to global food and environmental problems as well as to the stable supply of agricultural, forestry and fishery products and resources
The award winners will be invited to Japan to receive their awards personally and present their research results and achievements. The winners will be bestowed a testimonial by the Chairman of the AFFRC during the commendation ceremony and will also receive a cash prize of US$5,000 each from JIRCAS.
- Candidate should be under the age of 40 (as of January 1, 2017);
- Should be researchers who have the nationality of developing countries and/or territories, belong to a non-Japanese research institute or a non-Japanese university;
- Should be engaged in research and development in agriculture, forestry, fisheries and related industries in developing regions;
- Must be able to attend the commendation ceremony and deliver a lecture on November 2, 2017.
- Applications must be prepared according to the instructions in te Preparation of Applications Forms and submitted by the recommending institute by post. Moreover, word-processed files of each form must be submitted by the recommending institute via e-mail as they will be used for the preparation of a short-list;
- Only one researcher can be recommended from each institute, including its branches;
- If an institute recommends two candidates or more, the Secretariat will ask the institute to choose one. If the institute does not respond by the due date, all applications from that institute will be excluded;
- The application must include supporting materials that substantiate the candidate’s achievements, such as the applicant’s most important research papers (three items), technical handbooks, patent applications or utility models, newspaper articles etc., and the entire publication list directly related to the applicant’s research;
- Applications that are insufficient or incorrect will be excluded from the evaluation.
Guidelines and Forms
Submit applications and inquiry by post to:
Secretariat of the Japan International Award for Young Agricultural Researchers Public Relations Office,
Japan International Research Center for Agricultural Sciences (JIRCAS)
1-1, Ohwashi Tsukuba City, Ibaraki 305-8686 Japan
- Due date for submission of application: May 26, 2017
- Determination of award winners: September, 2017
- Date of Awarding Ceremony: November 2, 2017
For more information, visit Japan International Award for Young Agricultural Researchers.