Legal Officer(Job) – Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
The Office of the Legal Counsel ensures that the Organization’s activities are carried out in accordance with its Constitution and the other Basic Texts of the Organization, in a manner consistent with its status as an inter-governmental organization of the United Nations system, and that its relationships with governments, organizations and individuals are on a sound legal basis.
The position is located in the Development Law Branch (LEGN) of the Legal Office. LEGN provides legal advisory services to governments on food and agriculture and natural resources (including land, water, fisheries and aquaculture, plants, animals, food, forestry, wildlife and environment and biodiversity), as well as general agricultural issues (institutions, trade, economic reform).
The successful candidate will be outposts and based in one of the Organization’s regional or sub-regional offices, the location of which is to be determined by the Organization. The appointment will be at either the P-3 or P-4 grade. The Organization reserves the right to determine the grade, taking into account the functions of the post, and the qualifications and experience of the successful candidate. It also reserves the right to make an appointment with a modified job description.
- Advanced University degree in Law
- Five (P-3) to seven (P-4) years of relevant legal experience in the field of food and agriculture, natural resources or development law
- Working knowledge of English, French or Spanish, and limited knowledge of one of the other two or Russian, Arabic or Chinese
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions, is desirable · Extent and relevance of experience in legal and institutional aspects of sustainable agriculture and natural resources
- Extent and relevance of experience in implementing technical assistance projects related to national legislation
- Extent and relevance of experience in conducting legal research and analysis involving considerable complexity, in writing clear and concise reports, and in preparing legal texts (legislative and regulatory instruments)
- Working knowledge of a second FAO official language depending upon the region of assignment
A competitive compensation and benefits package is offered. Expected salary may range between USD 77,077- USD92,167 per year.
Deadline: 18th July 2017