Deadline: December 4, 2017
Applications are open for the Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation Research Fellowship 2018. The fellowship offers sustained support to intellectuals who are recognized for their productivity, their commitment to communicating their findings to the public, and their ability to imagine innovative solutions to some of the major issues facing society.
Each year, up to five fellows are appointed by the Foundation, namely Canadian researchers in the “General” category and researchers who are not affiliated to a university in the “Visiting” category. Trudeau fellows are active in a field of the humanities and social science that touches on one or more of the Foundation’s four themes: Human Rights and Dignity, Responsible Citizenship, Canada in the World and People and their Natural Environment.
- Regular fellowship: Candidates to the regular Trudeau fellowship are researchers who have set themselves apart through their capacity to propose creative solutions to important issues and their ability to inform public debate beyond the academic sphere.
- Visiting fellowship: The Foundation can award one fellowship per year to a visiting fellow. The regular Trudeau fellowship’s criteria of excellence and engagement also apply to the visiting fellowship. However, the visiting fellow’s affiliation to the host institution is different: the selected candidate is invited to take part in the host university’s activities for a residency period of approximately one year in the course of the three-year fellowship tenure.
The Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation fellowships provide:
- Support from an outstanding community of scholars, fellows and mentors, and opportunities for interaction with 350 leaders and personalities in every sector of the humanities and social sciences;
- Involvement in lively exchanges with other researchers and policy makers;
- The opportunity to contribute to public dialogue and share innovative ideas at events organized by or in conjunction with the Foundation;
- A $150,000 allowance over three years for research, travel and networking;
- A $50,000 award;
- A $25,000 allowance to cover the cost of participation in Foundation events.
- Open to researchers active in a field of the humanities and social sciences related to one or more of the Foundation’s four themes; and
- Canadian citizens or permanent residents, or citizens of foreign countries legally allowed to reside in Canada for the funding period; and
- Researchers affiliated or who will be affiliated during fellowships with an university that grants doctoral degrees.
Fellows will be evaluated based on the following:
- Trudeau project (required for the regular fellowship and optional for the visiting fellowship)
- Commitment to engage with the Foundation community of scholars, mentors and fellows
- Communication and engagement
- Leadership and innovation
- December 4, 2017: Deadline for nominations
- December 2017 – April 2018: Evaluation of candidate files & qualifications
- May 2018: Nominees notified
- June 3-8, 2018: Foundation Summer Institute (participation mandatory)
- Mid-September 2018: Public announcement of 2018 research fellows & public event with fellows in attendance
For more information, visit Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation Research Fellowship.