Apply now for the Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships for post graduate researchers and graduate artists. The Swiss government scholarships are offered by the Federal Commission for Scholarships for Foreign Students exclusively via Switzerland’s official diplomatic representations in the applicants’ countries of origin.
The Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships, organized under The State Secretariat for Education, Research and Innovation (SERI), are aimed at young researchers from abroad who have completed a master’s degree or PhD and at foreign artists holding a bachelor’s degree. Each year the Swiss Confederation awards Government Excellence Scholarships to promote international exchange and research cooperation between Switzerland and over 180 other countries. Recipients are selected by the awarding body, the Federal Commission for Scholarships for Foreign Students (FCS).
Types of scholarship
- The Research Scholarship: This is available to post-graduate researchers from any discipline who hold a master’s degree as a minimum and are planning to come to Switzerland to pursue research or further studies at doctoral or post-doctoral level. Research scholarships are awarded for research or study at all Swiss cantonal universities, universities of applied sciences and the two federal institutes of technology. Only candidates nominated by an academic mentor at one of these higher education institutions will be considered.
- Art Scholarships: They are open to art students wishing to pursue an initial master’s degree in Switzerland. Art scholarships are awarded for study at any Swiss conservatory or university of the arts. This scholarship is available to students from a limited number of countries only.
- Scholarship holders from outside the European continent receive flight allowance (lump sum) for flight ticket back to their countries at the end of their program.
- The scholarship amounts to a monthly stipend.
- For non-EU and non-EFTA grantees only: mandatory Swiss health insurance is paid by the FCS.
- It is open to post-graduate researchers in any discipline from around the world.
- It is open to art students around the world wanting to pursue a master’s degree in Switzerland.
The FCS assesses scholarship applications according to three criteria:
- Candidate’s profile.
- Quality of the research project or artistic work.
- Synergies and potential for future research cooperation.
- Application processes, deadlines, and requirements differ from country to country. To begin the application, select your specific country and review the eligibility and application process. Countries A-L – Countries M-Z
- The application package can be obtained by e-mail from the Swiss Embassy in respective countries.
- The FCS will select scholarship holders for the 2018–19 academic year by the end of May 2018.
- Scholarships for the 2019–20 academic year will be advertised online from August 2018.
For more information, visit SERI.