Young Champions of the Earth is a forward-looking prize designed to breathe life into the ambitions of brilliant young environmentalists.
If you have a big idea to protect or restore the environment; if you have a vision for a more sustainable future; if you have a strong track record of instigating change; if you are unafraid of failure; and if you believe in a bright future for our planet, then you just might have what it takes to become a Young Champion of the Earth.
Each year, six young people – one from each global region – will be named Young Champions of the Earth. These winners receive seed funding, intensive training, and tailored mentorship to help them bring their big environmental ideas to life.
Six Young Champions of the Earth are selected every year, one from each global region (Africa, Asia-Pacific, Europe, Latin America and the Caribbean, North America, and West Asia). Each winner receives the following:
- US$15,000 in seed funding;
- Attendance at the United Nations Environment Assembly in Nairobi, December 2017, and the United Nations General Assembly in New York, September 2018 (all expenses paid);
- An introduction to over 100 environment ministers at the Champions of the Earth Gala Dinner;
- Publicity and recognition through online and global media;
- Access to high-profile mentors and customized training in communications, project planning, financial management, etc.
- Participation in an intensive, one-week entrepreneurship course in Europe in the first quarter of 2018 (all expenses paid).
The Young Champions will be required to contribute one blog post and one video per month between December 2017 and September 2018, so that the public can follow their implementation journeys on the Young Champions website.
To be eligible to apply for the 2017 Young Champions of the Earth Competition, you must be between the ages of 18 and 30 on 15 November 2017. That is, your birthdate must fall between 1 January 1987 and 15 November 1999 (inclusive).
Eligible Regions: Open for All
The application period opens on 22 April and closes at midnight GMT on 18 June 2017. To apply, complete Section 1 of the application form, providing a valid email address of your sponsor. Your sponsor will then receive an email inviting him or her to complete Section 2 by 18 June 2017.
Application Deadline: June 26, 2017 (61 Days Remaining)