UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, is a global organization dedicated to saving lives, protecting rights and building a better future for refugees, forcibly displaced communities and stateless people.
The internship will be placed with UNHCR’s Strategic Communications team, which sits within the Department of External Relations (DER) and serves departments both within DER and in the wider organization. This exciting internship is a unique opportunity to gain experience in communication and media monitoring as well as experience working within the UN system.
The Strategic Communications Intern will be expected to:
• Assist in the completion of weekly and monthly communication reports. These will span across traditional media, social media and digital engagement.
• Use our various media monitoring software tools to provide data insights to colleagues across the world. Training will be provided.
• Assist in the development of new and ad-hoc reports.
• Research, compile and file relevant media coverage of UNHCR.
• Assist with updating and administering various databases.
• Provide any other required support, including admin support to the team’s four permanent staff.
- The Strategic Communications team provides quantitative and qualitative data insights, research, key learnings and evaluation materials related to UNHCR’s internal and external communications.
- The intern will assist with research and analytic assignments as well as administrative tasks.
• Possess a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, for example, Communication and Media Studies, Refugee and Forced Displacement Studies, Migration Studies, International Studies and Social Sciences.
• Have strong research and organizational skills. This includes a good understanding of qualitative and quantitative research methods.
• Be a strong communicator and fluent in English, with advanced writing and editing skills.Additional languages are desirable, but not essential.
• Have advanced experience using the Microsoft Office suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, Publisher and Power point). Advanced experience using Microsoft Excel is particularly important as this is the primary tool we use to process data.
• Have experience with web analytics tools such as Google Analytics.
• Have a strong understanding of social media.
• Have design and document formatting skills. Experience using Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign is desirable, but not essential.
• Show a genuine desire to learn and adapt.
• Have good interpersonal skills and be a keen team player.
Eligible Regions: Open For All
- Interested applicants should submit their letter of motivation, Personal History Form (P11), and CV, including testimonials/degrees/certificates to [email protected]/* */ indicating “Strategic Communications Internship” in the subject of the email.
Application Deadline: August 27, 2017 (11 Days Remaining)