Deadline: October 8, 2017
The Global Teacher Prize is an award presented annually to an exceptional teacher who has made an outstanding contribution to their profession. The prize serves to underline the importance of educators and the fact that, throughout the world, their efforts deserve to be recognised and celebrated. It seeks to acknowledge the impacts of the very best teachers – not only on their students but on the communities around them.
The award operates under the patronage of His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, UAE Vice President, Prime Minister, and Ruler of Dubai. The winner will be chosen by the Global Teacher Prize Academy – made up of prominent individuals from both inside and outside education. They include head-teachers, educational experts, artists, scientists, public officials, tech entrepreneurs, company directors and journalists and commentators from around the world.
- National and international recognition of your achievements – Special Commendations for the Top 50 outstanding applicants;
- Invitation to the Global Education and Skills Forum 2018 in Dubai as one of 50 Finalists;
- Chance to become engaged in national and international discussions on policy and campaigns affecting teachers and teacher education;
- Membership of the Varkey Teacher Ambassadors programme for the Top 50 finalists – a growing, global community of educators working together to improve education standards around the world;
- Potential to win the Global Teacher Prize and receive a Prize of US $1 million.
- Open to currently working teachers who teach children that are in compulsory schooling, or are between the ages of five and eighteen;
- Teachers who continue to teach, even on a part-time basis are also eligible, as are teachers of online courses;
- The Prize is open to teachers in every kind of school and, subject to local laws, in every country in the world.
Applicants of the Global Teacher Prize will be judged based on a rigorous set of criteria to identify an extraordinary teacher who has made an outstanding contribution to the profession. The Academy will look for evidence of:
- Achieving demonstrable student learning outcomes in the classroom;
- Employing innovative and effective instructional practices that are replicable and scalable to influence the quality of education globally;
- Recognition of a teacher’s achievements in the classroom and beyond from pupils, colleagues, head-teachers or members of the wider community;
- Helping children become global citizens through providing them with a values-based education, which equips young people with life and work skills and prepares them for a world where they will encounter people from many different nationalities, cultures and religions;
- Achievements in the community beyond the classroom that provide unique and distinguished models of excellence for the teaching profession and others;
- Encouraging teachers to stay in the profession and develop their skills as well as encouraging others to join the teaching profession.
- Nominate or apply for the Global Teachers Prize here.
The winner will be announced at the Global Education and Skills Forum in Dubai in March 2018. The Varkey Foundation decision on eligibility is final.
For more information, visit Varkey Foundation Global Teacher Prize.