Deadline: August 6, 2017
Applications are invited for young people to participate in the 4th African-Europe Youth Summit and Youth Plug-in Initiative. The Africa-Europe Youth Summit will bring together more than 120 youth leaders from both continents, including African Diaspora, on 2-4 October in Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire. The Youth Summit will result in a declaration on themes including education, peace & security, environment, business, democratic inclusion and culture.
There is also an opportunity to apply to a follow-up group, the “plug-in initiative” which will take the declaration and work between 30 October and 29 November to develop projects on Africa-EU cooperation with concrete deliverables. These will be presented to the AU-EU Summit on November 29-30, also in Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire, which will be focused on youth.
Both the Youth Summit and the follow-up “plug-in initiative” are being held to feed in to the AU-EU Summit on November 30-31, also in Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire, which is focused on the topic of youth. By bringing together African and European Youth organisations and motivated and engaged young people, the Summit and plug-in initiative will strengthen the direct participation in the political dialogue that shapes our present reality and future outcomes.
The youth organisations involved include the Panafrican Youth Union (PYU), European Youth Forum (YFJ), Advisory Council on Youth of the Council of Europe (AC-CoE), Network of International Youth Organisations in Africa (NIYOA), African Diaspora Youth Network in Europe (ADYNE), African Caribbean and Pacific Young Professionals Network’s (ACP YPN) and African Diaspora Youth Forum in Europe (ADYFE).
All travel, meals and accommodation expenses are covered for selected applicants, based on sponsoring organisations rules and procedures.
1. 4th Africa-Europe Youth Summit
- For Africans: Be a citizen of an African Union Member State
- For Europeans: Must have citizenship of a European country (member-state of the Council of Europe)
- For Diasporans: Come from diaspora of African countries and living in Europe. Hold citizenship of an African or European country
- Aged 18-35
- Current active involvement in a youth organisation/network
- Experience of implementation of an initiative under at least one of the themes of the Youth Forum
- Prior interest and previous knowledge of Africa-Europe cooperation
- Ability to effectively work in either English or French
2. Youth Plug-in Initiative
- Availability to dedicate significant time and energy to the initiative (for a period of around 6 weeks in October and November)
- Regular internet access for distance participation
- Preference for experience cooperating in international and multicultural teams
This form allows you to apply to two linked opportunities:
You can submit application to participate in the Summit. Participation in Youth Plug-in Initiative is optional in section 6.