Deadline: August 31, 2017
Applications for the Bitch Media Fellowship for Writers are now open. Bitch Media is an independent, nonprofit feminist media organization, and now in its 21st year, they are offering the Bitch Media Fellowships for Writers, a series of three-month intensive writing fellowships whose goal is to develop, support, and amplify emerging, diverse voices in feminist, activist, and pop-culture media. The program is directed by Bitch cofounder Andi Zeisler.
Bitch Media’s mission is to provide and encourage an engaged, thoughtful response to mainstream media and pop culture. They are looking fellows who are passionate, engaged, and interested in developing their unique voices for these four fellowships, each of which pay a stipend of $2,000 for the three-month period.
Fellows will work with Bitch Media during one of the following four quarters:
- January 1 – March 30
- April 1 – June 30
- July 1 – September 30
- October 1 – December 31
Fellows will work in one of four subject areas during the fellowship period:
- Sexual politics
- Pop-culture criticism
- Global feminism
During the 3-month fellowships, our fellows will:
- Produce a minimum of six online articles for Bitch Media in the topic area of their fellowship. These pieces can take a variety of forms: reported, analytical, advocacy-focused, even infographic, and are least 600 words in length.
- Produce at least one longform article to be published in the quarterly magazine Bitch: Feminist Response to Pop Culture.
- Participate in biweekly discussions (by phone or Skype if fellows cannot meet in person) with the fellowship director and other members of the Bitch Media staff.
- Receive mentorship and support in creating, shaping, and editing articles and blog posts.
- Receive follow-up support with placing future articles and essays, and make great connections within the feminist-media community.
- Receive a $2,000 stipend for the three-month fellowship.
This fellowship was created in order to cultivate and amplify new voices. So take note of the following:
- If you are a writer who has minimal publication experience, you are strongly encourage you to apply.
- If you are passionate about one of the above subject areas but do not have a history of writing or blogging about them, you are strongly encourage you to apply.
- If you are a writer still figuring out what subjects obsess you, we strongly encourage you to apply.
- Open to writers who want to develop confident, well-rounded voices and are particularly interested in feminist criticism and mission-driven journalism.
- Fellows may be based globally, and U.S. citizenship or residence is not required to be a fellow.
- Writers who have contributed to Bitch before will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Applications must be submitted through their submission manager.
- Click the here for full guidelines and to submit your application!
Have questions? Read our Fellowship FAQ sheet here.
For more information, visit Bitch Media Fellowship.