Volunteer to make a Difference with City Year UK! City Year UK is a youth social action charity pioneering a new way of addressing social and educational challenges in the United Kingdom. The City Year Leadership Development Programme is designed to help 18 to 25-year-olds make maximum impact in schools. Serving as mentors, tutors and role models, they will support pupils growing up in some of the most disadvantaged communities in the UK. City Year are currently accepting applications for their August 2017 programme in London, West Midlands and Greater Manchester. Their vision is that through a year of service, all young people will have the chance to tackle entrenched social problems in their communities, and through that service, be able to develop themselves.
- Receive weekly training and support in developing your leadership potential through workshops, corporate engagement and networking opportunities;
- Be matched to a senior mentor who will help support your career plans after City Year UK;
- Get ongoing training in key life skills such as public speaking, problem solving, resilience and creativity;
- Explore career options in education, working with young people or within the third and corporate sectors;
- Form bonds and leave with a peer group of future leaders and social innovators;
- Gain a clearer sense of where you want to get to in life and the skills you need to get there through our ‘Leadership after City Year’ initiative.
To support you through your year of service you will receive:
- Living expenses up to £4,400 a year in London and £3,960 in the West Midlands and Greater Manchester;
- Reimbursement for any travel expenses you incur as a result of City Year activities;
- The City Year Hardship fund if eligible;
- City Year uniform, including the iconic red jacket.
To be eligible for the programme you will need to be:
- Passionate, committed and have the emotional maturity to work with disadvantaged young children;
- Aged 18-25 when you start volunteering;
- Eligible to live and work in the EU for a year;
- Live in the Greater Manchester, the West Midlands or London area during your year of service;
- Have a minimum Level 3 qualification (A level or equivalent)
For more information, visit City Year UK Leadership Development Programme.