Deadline: May 7, 2017
The European Transport Innovation Challenge is organised to reward transport innovators with ideas for a cleaner and more efficient future in transport. The EU is committed to cutting CO2 emissions by at least 40% by 2030 and by 80% by 2050. With transportation accounting for one quarter of CO2 emissions, there is a need to radically transform the way people and goods are transported. This Challenge will help move the EU along the path of decarbonisation and sustainable growth. To participate you just need a good idea for a product or service that will contribute to one of the following key European goals for transport: better mobility, better access to mobility, less pollution, less congestion, or more safety and security.
The objectives of the challenge are as follow:
- The Commission wants to give a platform to new ideas in transport, and recognise the talent and engagement of transport innovators to fostering sustainable and smart transport in Europe. The Commission is looking for novel approaches to (i) better mobility, (ii) better access to mobility, (iii) less pollution, (iv) less congestion (v) more safety and security;
- The 2017 Challenge is entitled “European Transport Innovation Challenge” and will foster entrepreneurial ideas that demonstrate innovative, disruptive solutions to transport challenges, particularly those that contribute to the decarbonisation and efficiency of the European Transport System. These ideas can be for new products and services, and for significant improvements of existing products and services.
- The Challenge aims to stimulate transport innovators’ potential to provide solutions to the transport sector by recognising the talent and engagement of transport innovators to fostering sustainable and smart transport in Europe. The Challenge will directly promote ideas best illustrating that potential.
- The Challenge aims to provide benefits such as visibility for the ideas and networking opportunities. It will enable finalists to connect with a wide range of transport innovation investors, experts, organisations and networks.
- The 12 winners of the Challenge will get a free trip to Strasbourg (France) on 19, 20 and 21 June 2017 to follow the ITS Congress, Europe’s biggest gathering of professionals working in intelligent transport systems. The prize includes: transportation, accommodation and free entrance to the conference; a dedicated workshop to meet investors and EU policy makers and receive personal coaching; and an appearance on stage to pitch the winning idea to the conference audience.
- The idea can come from a person, a team, a company (providing it is an SME) or any other type of legal entity anywhere in the European Union;
- In order to encourage young innovators, the person who attends the ITS European Congress must be under 35.