Deadline: February 15, 2018
Applications are open for the Finnish Government Scholarship Pool 2018-19. The Finnish Government offers scholarships of 3-9 months for Doctoral level studies and research at Finnish universities or public research institutes. The Scholarship programme is open to young researchers from all academic fields. It cannot be applied for Master’s level studies or post-Doctoral studies/research.
- The scholarship includes: a monthly allowance of EUR 1500. The allowance is sufficient for one person only.
- Expenses due to travel, international or in Finland, are not covered by the programme.
- Scholarship recipients are recommended to make arrangements for sufficient insurance coverage for their stay in Finland.
- In order to be an eligible applicant for this scholarship, you must first successfully apply for a study/research placement at a Finnish university/public research institute – in other words, you must be at least provisionally accepted either as a visiting Doctoral-level student/researcher, or as a full-time Doctoral degree student. Please see section Doctoral Admissions for information on how to apply for a Doctoral-level study or research placement in Finland.
- The scholarships are based mainly on cultural agreements or similar arrangements between Finland and the following countries: Australia, China, Cuba, Egypt, Israel, Japan, Mexico, Mongolia, Namibia, Peru, Republic of Korea, Turkey, Ukraine, USA. Only the nationals of these countries can be considered eligible applicants in this scholarship programme.
- To be eligible, the applicant must:
- have established contact with the Finnish receiving institution before applying
- have a letter of invitation from the academic supervisor in Finland; the invitation should also explain the commitment of the host institution to the project
- have earned a Master’s-level degree before applying
- intend to pursue post-Master’s level studies as a visiting student, participate in a research project or teach at a university or public research institute in Finland; priority will be given to doctoral studies
- not have spent already more than one year at a Finnish higher education institution immediately before the intended scholarship period in Finland
- be able to give proof of sufficient skills in speaking and writing the language needed in study/research*
- be a national of one of the eligible countries listed above
*) this means that the application must include some proof of the applicant’s language skills – The scholarship programme itself does not require you to take an IELTS or TOEFL test, but if you have such official proof of your English skills that can of course be enclosed in the application. Usually however it is enough if, for example, the letter of invitation from the hosting Finnish university states that your language skills have been deemed sufficient by the Finnish university.
- Applicants from USA: please refer to the “Fulbright-EDUFI Fellowship” instructions & application form on the Fulbright Online website.
- Applicants from other participating countries: you can download the 2018-2019 application form using the below link > application form 2018-2019
If needed, the application form can also be obtained from the national scholarship authorities or directly from the Finnish National Agency for Education.
Documents required for an application:
- a completed and signed application form
- curriculum vitae
- copies of latest diplomas*
- two letters of recommendation
- study/research plan (2-5 pages, including a statement of motivation, goals, work plan, work method, expected results)
- invitation/expression of interest and motivation for cooperation from the hosting academic supervisor in Finland
- language certificate (Finnish, Swedish or English) or other indication of sufficient language skills – please see above, in the section ‘Eligibility criteria’
*) copies of original diplomas accompanied with translations into English, Finnish or Swedish – if the original certificates are not in these languages. Preferably official translations. Please do not send in any originals as the Finnish National Agency for Education will not return any application documents.
For more information, visit Finnish Government Scholarship Pool.