International IGB Fellowship Programme 2017 offers fellowships to PhD students, postdocs and senior scientists twice a year for 6-24 months. IGB provides excellent laboratory and field facilities for interdisciplinary research, large-scale experimental facilities as well as long-term research programmes. Fellowships are offered in three funding lines:
- Guest PhD Fellowships: for doctoral students currently carrying out a PhD project at another institution. These fellowships are meant to enable short-term research visits at IGB to PhD students enrolled in a PhD programme elsewhere; they do not cover a full three-year doctoral thesis.
- Postdoc Fellowships: full support for postdoctoral researchers to carry out full-time research at IGB for up to two years
- Senior Fellowships: for scientists who generally lead a research group at their home institution to obtain funding for an extended visit at IGB (e.g., during a sabbatical leave)
It is generally possible to split the granted number of months in more than one visiting period at IGB. Please discuss with your host if this option is suitable for your planned project.
The type of fellowship applicable to your career stage depends on your qualifications at the intended starting date. Applicants must hold a Master degree or equivalent (PhD fellowships) or a doctoral degree (postdocs and senior scientists) in one of the research areas at IGB. Before submitting an application, please contact your potential host and develop a research programme in accordance with your host group. The following links may help to identify the best potential host to pursue your ideas.
- Ecosystem Research
- Experimental Limnology
- Biology and Ecology of Fishes
- Ecophysiology and Aquaculture
- Analytical Chemistry and Biogeochemistry
Applicants currently residing in Germany are not eligible to the fellowship programme. Please, contact your potential host at IGB to discuss alternative funding opportunities for your planned research.
- your CV, including a complete list of publications
- certificates of your Master degree or equivalent, or of your doctoral degree, respectively
- a letter indicating your research interests and experience (max. 1 page)
- your proposed research programme at IGB (max. 1 page), including potential research host(s) and time line
- two letters of recommendation.
The fellowships provide resources to cover basic living expenses. They amount to 1,365 €/month at the doctoral level, 1,828 €/month at the postdoctoral level, and 2,600 €/month at the senior scientist level. In addition, some funds can be provided for consumables and travel allowances. The fellowships do not include health insurance, which is mandatory in Germany, nor contributions to pension schemes. Fellowships can normally only be granted if no other income is received during the fellowship period by employments elsewhere.
Deadline :1st June and 1st December, 2017