Deadline: December 5, 2017
Are you interested in studying abroad in high school? The Kennedy-Lugar YES Abroad scholarship application is now open! The Kennedy-Lugar Youth Exchange and Study (YES) Abroad program is offering American high school students and recent graduates full scholarships to study for one academic year in countries with significant Muslim populations. Participants live with a host family, attend a local high school, acquire leadership skills, and engage in activities to learn about the host country’s society and values; they also help educate others about American society and values.
The YES Abroad program was initiated as a reciprocal extension of the Kennedy-Lugar Youth Exchange and Study program for international students from countries with significant Muslim populations. The first group of Americans participated in YES Abroad in the 2009-2010 academic year, living and studying in ten select YES countries. The program now offers 65 full scholarships to American students nationwide.
The YES Abroad program is funded by the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, and is administered by a consortium of organizations led by American Councils for International Education in partnership with AFS-USA, Inc., the American-Mideast Educational and Training Services, Inc. (AMIDEAST), and the International Education and Resource Network (iEARN).
The YES Abroad scholarship covers costs related to:
- Round-trip airfare and room and board for the Pre-Departure Orientation;
- Round-trip airfare between the participant’s home region and community abroad;
- In-country support, cultural activities, school tuition (where applicable), room and board with a host family, secondary medical benefits, visa fees, and a modest stipend.
- Applicant should be a U.S. citizen;
- Be 15-18.5 years of age at start of program;
- Be enrolled in high school (including home school) at the time of application;
- For the following countries, prior French skills are required: Morocco, Senegal
- The YES Abroad program seeks applicants of all racial, ethnic, religious, socio-economic backgrounds, sexual orientations, and welcomes students with disabilities.
Start your application for the 2018-2019 program here or to access an application already in progress. The 2018-2019 program application deadline is December 5, 2017 at 11:59pm PST.
For more information, visit Kennedy-Lugar YES Abroad Program.