Deadline: September 21, 2017
Nominations are now open for the Nelson Mandela – Graca Machel Innovation Awards 2017. The awards recognize individuals and organisations for their excellence, innovation, and bravery in creating positive social change. Now in its 12th year, the Nelson Mandela – Graca Machel Innovation Awards are open to Youth Activists, Individual Activists, Civil Society Organisations, and the newest category of Brave Philanthropy.
Is there an activist, organisation or donor in your community or country that the world should know about? Nominate them now for this award!
The Innovation Awards are part of the global SPEAK! campaign, which seeks to give a voice to everyone, everywhere. Led by CIVICUS through the Civic Space Initiative, SPEAK! and the Innovation Awards will together help celebrate, promote, and defend the voices of ordinary citizens in ensuring a more just and sustainable future for all.
One award will be conferred in each of the following categories:
- Youth Activist: An individual who has worked for positive social change and is younger than 30 as of August 1, 2017;
- Individual Activist: An Individual who has worked for positive social change and is 30 years of age, or older, as of August 1, 2017;
- Civil Society Organisation: A registered non-profit organisation that has worked for positive social change and has two or more full-time employees;
- Brave Philanthropy (Donor): An individual or organisation that has provided financial support for an activist, organisation or campaign engaged in social change despite financial or other risk, public perception, or donor-norms.
- Award winners of the Youth, Individual and Organisation categories will be awarded a prize package worth approximately US$4,550. This includes:
- Return airfare to International Civil Society Week (ICSW) 2017 (value of approximately US$2,000)
- Registration fee waiver for ICSW (value of approximately US$250)
- Accommodation in Suva, Fiji for 3 nights/4 days for ICSW, together with the majority of meals (value of approximately US $500)
- Per diem for 4 days at ICSW (value of approximately US$300)
- Cash prize of $1,500
- The Award winner of the Brave Philanthropy category will receive a registration fee waiver for ICSW 2017.
- Any costs or fees not specifically listed above will be borne by Award winners.
- Nominators can nominate themselves or organisations with which they are affiliated, or nominate other individuals or organisations;
- Nominators can submit a maximum of one nomination per category;
- Nominations must be based on specific activities that took place between 1 May 2016 and 31 July 2017. (Any nominations based on activities that took place outside of this time frame will not be considered.);
- No member of the Civic Space Initiative or individual who is otherwise involved with the Nelson Mandela – Graça Machel Innovation Awards, whether as an officer, director, employee, or independent contractor, is eligible to be nominated.
- All nominations should be submitted using the online form;
- Award winners must confirm their intent to attend ICSW on or before 11:59pm (GMT+2) on 6 November 2017
- If one or more of the Awards can not be physically presented to the winners at ICSW 2017 due to circumstances beyond CIVICUS’ control, those Awards will be presented in absentia.
For more information, visit Nelson Mandela – Graca Machel Innovation Awards.