Applications are invited to participate in the 9th Nelson Mandela World Human Rights Moot Court Competition, due to be held from 18 to 21 July 2016, in Palais des Nations, in Geneva, Switzerland. The 2017 Nelson Mandela World Human Rights Moot Court Competition will include a one-day event, designed to expose students to the work of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights as well as the Human Rights Council.
This will involve personal interaction with senior staff members of both institutions who are involved key activities and processes. This practical exercise promises to be an eye –opening and personally enriching series of encounters which will add value to what many World Moot participants have already described as the highlight of their university studies.
In the preliminary rounds the students submit heads of argument for a hypothetical case, which are assessed by a panel of experts. The best 5 teams from each UN region are then invited to participate in the pre-final and final rounds of the Competition in Geneva. Here, teams have to argue the two sides of the hypothetical case, the Applicant and the Respondent, before a ‘bench’ of human rights experts. The two best teams proceed to the final round, which is presided over by judges from international courts and tribunals. The Competition will be held in English.
- Two scholarships for the winning team to participate in a fully-funded three-week summer programme at the University of Lucerne.
- Open to both undergraduate and master’s degree law students;
- A team of two students from each university – preferably one woman and one man – is invited to participate.
Register to enter the competition.
- Registration Closes – June 12, 2017
- Release of Hypothetical case to be argued – January 1, 2017
- Request for clarification of facts – April 10, 2017
- Response to requests for clarification of facts – Publicised by May 3, 2017
- Submission of memorials – June 12, 2017
- Announncements of the 25 Qualifying teams – June 19, 2017
- Confirmation of travel details – July 3, 2017