Deadline: June 4, 2017
New Europe College, an institute for advanced study in the humanities and social sciences in Bucharest, Romania, is offering through competition Fellowships in its Pontica Magna Program. This funding opportunity targets young researchers, media professionals, writers and artists from the countries around the Black Sea (Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Moldova, Russia, Turkey, and Ukraine), but also beyond it. Candidates are welcome to apply with projects on topics of their choice, for in-residence fellowships of one or two terms at the NEC.
Candidates can apply for one academic year (10 months, starting with October 2017), or one term (5 months, starting with October 2017 or with March 2018). Once chosen, Fellows are expected to take part in the weekly seminars at the institute together with all the other Romanian and international scholars present at NEC, and in other scientific events organized by the institute. Fellows have the opportunity to benefit from NEC’s widespread international research network and its high-quality guest lecturers program. The institute’s working languages are English, French, and German; a good command of English is required. Fellows are assisted in all practical matters concerning travel, residence, and research in Bucharest. Toward the end of their stay, they are required to document the outcomes of their work in a scholarly paper (in English, French, or German), or a different output, in accordance with their profile.
- Fellows are granted a monthly stipend of €750 plus accommodation and travel expenses;
- In addition to their residence period in Bucharest, they are offered a one-month research trip abroad to an institution of their choice.
- Pontica Magna Fellowships are earmarked for applicants from Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Geor¬gia, Moldova, Russia, Ukraine (other post-Soviet countries may also be considered) and Turkey;
- Candidates must be doctoral students at an advanced stage of their research, or hold a PhD title;
- Journalists, media professionals, writers and artists are also eligible; a PhD is not compulsory in such cases, but it is a plus; In its absence, a CV presenting their achievements so far in their chosen activity will be taken into account (see the guidelines for details);
- Preference is given to candidates below the age of 40.
For more information, visit Pontica Magna Fellowship.