Queen’s Young Leader Award
The Queen’s Young Leaders Programme discovers, celebrates and supports exceptional young people from across the commonwealth, leaving a lasting legacy for Her Majesty The Queen. The Queen Elizabeth Diamond Jubilee Trust, in partnership with Comic Relief and The Royal Commonwealth Society, has established The Queen’s Young Leaders Programme in honour of Her Majesty The Queen’s 60 years of service to the Commonwealth. Over the course of its five-year life span, the Programme aims to discover, celebrate and support young people from every Commonwealth nation to transform their own lives and the futures of others around them.
The Queen Elizabeth Diamond Jubilee Trust, in partnership with Comic Relief and The Royal Commonwealth Society, has established The Queen’s Young Leaders Programme in honour of Her Majesty The Queen’s 60 years of service to the Commonwealth. Over the course of its five-year life span, the Programme aims to discover, celebrate and support young people from every Commonwealth nation to transform their own lives and the futures of others around them.
This unique, life-changing Programme has two parts:
- An Award Scheme that celebrates the achievements of exceptional young people who have proved themselves to be inspiring leaders in their communities and have overcome challenges in their lives to do so.
- A Grants Scheme that supports organisations in selected countries across the Commonwealth that work with young people to help solve the problems affecting their lives and the communities in which they live with innovative, youth-focused solutions.
The Programme is seeking to celebrate the achievements of young people and support them to develop their leadership skills and improve the lives of people across the Commonwealth. It aims to ensure that:
- Young people are better qualified to secure employment and apprenticeships or create sustainable enterprises.
- Young people are able to effectively express their needs and aspirations in order to influence decision makers.
- Clear evidence is collected that demonstrates the unique contribution young leaders make in improving society.
- Applicants need to have proven experience of working to improve their communities locally, regionally or at a national level and be able to show evidence of their achievements.
- Applicants must be aged between 18 and 29 throughout 2018: your date of birth must fall between 1st January 1989 – 1st January 2000.
- Applicants must be citizens of and work in a Commonwealth country or citizens of an Overseas Territory (of a Commonwealth Member).
- Applicants need to demonstrate evidence of their leadership qualities.
- All applicants need to be supported by a suitable referee (a professional in one of the following occupations; a teacher or counsellor; a registered physician or nurse; a church or community leader; social worker or family services; or business leader). Referees must not be related to you.
- Priority will be given to individuals who have overcome challenges to achieve their goals.
The Queen’s Young Leader Award recognises and celebrates exceptional people aged 18-29 from across the Commonwealth, who are taking the lead in their communities and using their skills to transform lives. Winners of this prestigious Award will receive a unique package of training, mentoring and networking, including a one-week residential programme in the UK during which they will collect their Award from Her Majesty The Queen. With this support, Award winners will be expected to continue and develop the amazing work they are already doing in their communities.
As well as awarding inspirational young people, Queen’s Young Leaders Grants will be made to organisations in selected Commonwealth countries that can show they are improving the lives of young people. Our vision is to provide opportunities for young people to learn new skills, enter employment and give them a voice in their communities. All our funding has now been allocated and applications for grants are closed.
Deadline: 21st August 2017