ThanksUSA Scholarship Program
ThanksUSA is now accepting scholarship applications for the 2017-2018 academic year.Since 2006, ThanksUSA has awarded nearly 4000 scholarships with a total value of $12 million.
ThanksUSA will award up to 500 scholarships in 2017 . Of those 500, several will be scholarships for eligible spouses and dependent children through Kaplan University’s online program.
What will be awarded?
If selected as a recipient, the student will receive an award of $3,000 for educational expenses. Awards are not renewable. Students may reapply in subsequent years if ThanksUSA is offering the same scholarship program.
Three types of scholarships will be awarded:
- Awards granted to dependent children are for first‐time undergraduate study at an accredited two‐ or four‐ year college, university, or vocational‐technical school and are NOT for non‐degree licensure/certificate programs or graduate study.
- Awards granted to spouses may be used for a first‐time undergraduate degree at an accredited two‐ or four‐ year college, university, or vocational‐technical school. Spouses may also use the award for non‐degree licensure/certification programs regardless of whether an undergraduate degree has already been completed. (Examples include post teaching degree credentials, nursing license after degree, ongoing real estate classes to keep licensure up‐to‐date.) Spouses may attend full‐time or part‐time (minimum 6 credits per term). Graduate degrees are ineligible.
- In honor of the commitment and sacrifice made by our military and their families, Kaplan University is proud to offer several scholarships through ThanksUSA for eligible military dependents. Applicants must meet all ThanksUSA eligibility guidelines, have a 3.0 GPA from high school or prior college coursework, and be a first‐ time student to Kaplan University
- Be dependent children1 , age 24 and under (as of the 5/15/2017 application deadline), of U.S. military service personnel or be spouses of U.S. military service personnel
- be current high school seniors or graduates who plan to enroll or students who are already enrolled in undergraduate study at an accredited two‐or four‐year college or university or vocational‐technical school for the entire 2017‐18 academic year. Dependent children must enroll full‐time.3 Spouses may attend full or part‐time.
- have at least a 2.00 cumulative grade point average (GPA) on a 4.00 scale or its equivalent on their relevant academic record (e.g., high school record for incoming freshmen or postsecondary school record for those already enrolled in a college, university or vocational/technical school). Applicants must have a minimum of a 3.0 GPA to qualify for the Kaplan awards.
Scholarship recipients are selected on the basis of financial need, academic record, demonstrated leadership and participation in school, church and community activities, a statement of goals, and unusual personal or family circumstances. Preference will be given to children or spouses of service personnel killed or injured during active duty. Financial need as calculated by Scholarship America must be demonstrated for the student to receive an award. Recipients are selected by Scholarship America, ThanksUSA and Kaplan University. Decisions of the selection committee are final and are not subject to appeal. The program is competitive; not all applicants will be selected as recipients.
For more details: http://www.thanksusa.org/
Deadline: 15th May 2017