The Audrey and William H. Helfand Fellowship in the History of Medicine and Public Health supports research using Academy library resources for scholarly study of the history of medicine and public health with an emphasis on visual culture. It is intended specifically for a scholar in residence at the Academy Library. Preference will be given to applications which focus on the use of visual materials held in the Academy collections and in other area institutions.
- Each Helfand Fellow receives a stipend of $5,000 to support travel, lodging and incidental expenses for a flexible period.
- The Helfand Fellow is expected to spend at least four weeks in New York City, working at The New York Academy of Medicine
- Besides completing a research project, each fellow will be expected to make a public presentation at the Academy, contribute a post to their blog, and submit a final report.
New York Academy of Medicine invite applications from anyone, regardless of citizenship, academic discipline, or academic status.
Preference will be given to
(1) Those whose research will take advantage of resources that are uniquely available at the Academy
(2) Individuals in the early stages of their careers
(3) Applications which include an emphasis on the use of visual materials held within the Academy’s collections and elsewhere
Eligible Regions: Open For All
Please read the instructions to assist you in completing the application form. Questions regarding the instructions or the application for fellowships in the Academy Library should be directed to 212-822-7313 or [email protected]/* */ Because visual materials are sometimes difficult to access through the Library’s online catalog, applicants are encouraged to call or email for more information about the collections.
A complete application includes:
One copy of the materials requested in the application
Two letters of recommendation
Please submit your application electronically:
Email your materials as attachments to [email protected]/* */
Attachments must be in Word, Adobe PDF, or Rich Text Format.
Please include the appropriate extension in filenames, (i.e. “SmithFellowshipApp.pdf”)
Application Deadline: August 25, 2017 (4 Days Remaining)