Paid Traineeship in Switzerland
Paid Traineeship in Switzerland by the Policy and Humanitarian Diplomacy Division of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) offers five traineeship positions for a period of one year, starting either in January, February or March 2018.The ICRC’s Policy and Humanitarian Diplomacy Division is part of the Department of International Law and Policy, and plays a central role in developing and delivering the main institutional policy and diplomacy objectives of the ICRC as well as overseeing the ICRC’s delegation in New York. The Division works closely with the ICRC’s Presidency, the Department of Operations and across the institution to shape strategic policy objectives, design and deliver diplomatic strategies, and influence key ICRC stakeholders. The Division also works closely with the International Federation and National Societies on areas of mutual policy interest.
Under the supervision of a Diplomatic or Policy Adviser, the post holder will be responsible for:
- Analysing humanitarian trends, issues and policy developments;
- Preparing/attending conferences, seminars and bilateral meetings;
- Conducting research, writing speeches/speaking points, drafting reports, taking minutes of meetings;
- Informing ICRC delegations in the field about a variety of international issues;
- Assisting with the day-to-day management of relations with international organisations and UN agencies, regional organisations, major international NGOs and humanitarian think-tanks;
ICRC are looking for candidates who meet the following mandatory requirements:
- A Master’s degree in a relevant field (e.g. international relations, international politics, international law, humanitarian action, development, peace/conflict studies, etc.).
- Knowledge or good understanding of at least one of the regions and issues from a humanitarian perspective.
- Excellent English and a good command of at least one of the following languages: Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish. Additional languages are an asset.
- Minimum of 6 months full-time prior experience with an international organisation, an NGO or within the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, and no more than 2 years of relevant experience.
- A manifest interest for humanitarian action/issues and/or the ICRC.
- A demonstrated interest in international affairs and diplomacy.
- Available for 1 year, starting in either January, February or March 2018.
If you do not fulfil the conditions above, your application will not be considered.
- Understanding of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, including its structure, policies, approaches, etc.;
- Any relevant publications;
- Experience in diplomatic and/or inter-agency work;
- Field experience.
- The ability to think strategically, to express ideas clearly, both orally and in writing, and to work independently and as part of a team.
- Capacity for research and analytical writing.
- Flexibility and the ability to assist with a variety of tasks based on the needs of the Division.
Deadline: 7th August 2017