Fully Funded FSC Youth Correspondent in Canada
Young people are at the centre of a sustainable future, and FSC is looking for a passionate youth correspondent who can engage their peers by covering this important event with originality, accuracy and inspiring reporting.The FSC GA 2017 is FSC’s highest decision-making body. Eight hundred participants from 70 countries – representing social, economic and environmental interests from the Global North and South – will meet in Vancouver to discuss a sustainable future for the world’s forests and the people who inhabit them.
Two journalism students will be selected by the FSC Communications Unit to attend the GA and act as FSC Youth Correspondents – reporting for youth, by youth.
To ensure full coverage of the FSC GA 2017, roles and responsibilities for the youth correspondent could include:
- Writing, editing and feeding stories about the activities and outcomes of the FSC GA 2017, and its side events, into international, regional and local media networks and communities (ensuring equal regional media coverage).
- Attending events and roundtables in order to interview and profile key guests and delegates.
- Reporting throughout the event – getting comments and opinions from delegates that can be broadcast on various channels.
- Using a variety of tools and techniques to keep articles and other related work engaging – including taking photos and recording sound and video.
The successful applicant will receive:
- Return flights on economy class to Vancouver
- Reimbursement of visa application fees
- Accommodation (sharing) in a hotel in Vancouver
- All meals and a small stipend will be provided
- Demonstrate excellent writing skills in English.
- Be enrolled in an accredited college or university pursuing a journalism/communications degree at the time of application. Students in forestry/environmental sciences related degrees with the above-required writing skills are also encouraged to apply.
- Be between the ages of 18 to 26.
- Not be working as a professional journalist at the time of the event.
- Have a good working knowledge of English (Spanish, or additional languages desirable).
- Be available to travel on and around the dates of the FSC GA 2017 (9 to 13 October 2017).
- Be in possession of a valid passport, which does not expire before 31 October 2017.
- Not have any legal reasons to be denied a visa to enter Canada.
Deadline: 14th July 2017