UNHCR Internship 2017 in Denmark
UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, is a global organization dedicated to saving lives, protecting rights and building a better future for refugees, forcibly displaced communities and stateless people. Every year, millions of men, women and children are forced to flee their homes to escape conflict and persecution. UNHCR teams are in the field in over 125 countries, using their expertise to protect and care for nearly 55 million people. The internship will be placed with UNHCR’s Strategic Communications team, which sits within the Department of External Relations (DER) and serves departments both within DER and in the wider organisation. This exciting internship is a unique opportunity to gain experience in communication and media monitoring as well as experience working within the UN system.
The Strategic Communications Intern will be expected to:
• Assist in the completion of weekly and monthly communication reports. These will span across traditional media, social media and digital engagement.
• Use our various media monitoring software tools to provide data insights to colleagues across the world. Training will be provided.
• Assist in the development of new and ad-hoc reports.
• Research, compile and file relevant media coverage of UNHCR.
• Assist with updating and administering various databases.
• Provide any other required support, including admin support to the team’s four permanent staff.
- Refugee and Forced Displacement Studies, Migration Studies, International Studies and Social Sciences.
- Have strong research and organizational skills. This includes a good understanding of qualitative and quantitative research methods.
- Be a strong communicator and fluent in English, with advanced writing and editing skills. Additional languages are desirable, but not essential.
- Have advanced experience using the Microsoft Office suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, Publisher and Powerpoint). Advanced experience using Microsoft Excel is particularly important as this is the primary tool we use to process data.
- Have experience with web analytics tools such as Google Analytics.
- Have a strong understanding of social media.
- Have design and document formatting skills. Experience using Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign is desirable, but not essential.
- Show a genuine desire to learn and adapt.
- Have good inter-personal skills and be a keen team-player.
Be a strong communicator with fluency in English, including advanced writing and editing skills.Additional languages are desirable, but not essential.
The selected Strategic Communications intern will be based with the team in the UN City in Copenhagen, Denmark and work under the supervision of the Impact and Research Officer.
The internship is for six months and the start date is in September 2017. It is a fulltime role with working hours starting from 8.30am to 5.00pm Monday to Friday (40 hours per week). Please note that the terms of internship as defined by UNHCR practice, preclude payment of any kind.
Deadline: 27th August 2017