The United Nations University Office of the Rector recruits highly qualified applicants to work as Junior Fellows at the UNU headquarters in Tokyo. Junior Fellows are recruited through a competitive application process twice per year. Graduate students interested in the work of the United Nations — and in particular, UNU — are encouraged to apply.
The underlying principles of the Junior Fellows Internship Programme at the Office of the Rector are centred on creating a dynamic, challenging and rewarding experience for graduate level students and young professionals. Successful candidates will contribute to the work of the Office of the Rector, the United Nations University, and the UN system as a whole. The programme provides opportunities for the development of new skills and knowledge and is a unique and constructive setting for the practical application of capacities acquired through graduate studies.
The programme places a strong emphasis on the training, guidance, and hands-on experience that form the foundation of a successful and beneficial internship. The programme opens with a one-week orientation designed to familiarize junior fellows with UNU, their co-workers, facilities and the working processes within the Office of the Rector. The knowledge and practical experience gained will also be beneficial to those candidates seeking a career in the United Nations. Junior fellows at the Office of the Rector can expect to gain valuable work experience while contributing in meaningful ways to UNU’s mission.
The purpose of the Junior Fellows Internship Programme at the Office of the Rector is:
- to promote interaction and dialogue between young scholars, professionals and UNU;
- to familiarize junior fellows with the activities of the Office of the Rector and the work of UNU;
- to provide opportunities for young professionals to gain in-depth, hands-on experience in a UN agency;
- to expose young professionals to an administrative working environment, and;
- to provide support to activities within the Office of the Rector.
Monthly stipend and a fixed transportation allowance for commuting to and from UNU headquarters is provided to the interns.
- is currently pursuing or has recently completed postgraduate studies (master’s or doctoral), preferably in a field related to the University’s work;
- is under 32 years of age at the time of application;
- must not have more than 5 years of work experience in their related field;
- has a native or near fluent command of written and spoken English;
- has excellent research, writing and analytical skills;
- can establish and maintain effective working relations with people from diverse backgrounds;
- demonstrates resourcefulness and creativity in problem-solving;
- has advanced computer skills: sound, hands-on, knowledge of standard office software (word processing, spreadsheets, databases, etc.); and
- has a demonstrated interest in the work of the United Nations and more specifically, in the work of the United Nations University.
Eligible Regions: Open for All
The application process is conducted in two stages. Instructions for each stage are detailed in the Apply link.
Application Deadline: April 30, 2017 (12 Days Remaining)
For Further Queries
Please contact: Mr. Rachad Nassar Office of the Rector United Nations University 5-53-70 Jingumae Shibuya-ku, Tokyo Japan 150-8925 T: +81 3 5467-1212 E-mail: [email protected]