UNU-WIDER Ph.D. Internship Programme gives registered doctoral students an opportunity to utilize the resources and facilities at UNU-WIDER for their Ph.D. dissertation or thesis research, and to work with UNU-WIDER researchers in areas of mutual interest. Ph.D. interns typically spend 3 consecutive months at UNU-WIDER and are expected to return to their home institution afterward. During their time in Helsinki, Ph.D. interns prepare one or more research papers and present a seminar on their research findings.
- UNU-WIDER provides a travel grant to cover the costs of travel to and from the location of your PhD granting institution,
- Medical insurance (for medical and hospital services resulting from sickness and accident during your stay at UNU-WIDER), and
- A monthly stipend of EUR 1,600 to cover living expenses in Helsinki during the period of their internship.
The program does not cover expenses related to dependents.
- Ph.D. interns may also have the opportunity to publish their research in the WIDER Working Paper Series.
- Applicants must be enrolled in a Ph.D. program and have shown ability to conduct research on developing economies
- Candidates working in other social sciences may apply but should keep in mind that UNU-WIDER is an economics-focused Institute
- Candidates should be fluent in oral and written English and possess good quantitative and/or qualitative analytical skills
- Preference is given to applicants who are living or working in developing countries and who are at later stages of the PhD
Eligible Regions: Open For All
- UNU-WIDER only receives online applications for the PhD Internship Programme twice each year. When applying in September, you would be visiting UNU-WIDER in the period February-June of the following year and when applying in March, you would be visiting UNU-WIDER in the period August-November of the same year.
- Selected applicants will be informed by email of the final decision within four weeks of the closing deadline. The selected applicants must confirm their decision to take up UNU-WIDER’s offer two weeks after being contacted.
- If you are interested in participating in this program you should complete and submit the application form.
- As part of your application, you will be asked to upload your curriculum vitae. Your Ph.D. supervisor will need to provide UNU-WIDER with a letter of reference, which should be emailed (by your supervisor) to the following address: [email protected] The reference letter will also be used to certify that you are enrolled in a Ph.D. program at your university.
- Please note UNU-WIDER do not receive applications by email or post.
Application Deadline: September 30, 2017 (30 Days Remaining)